ARCHIS in cooperation with Abitare, Netherlands Architecture Institute and the College of Architecture and Design at Lawrence Tech are holding an RSVP event in Warren, MI, February 20-22, 2009 focused on finding pragmatic answers to how we can move from crisis to project within the current real estate crisis. The upcoming RSVP event will focus on the communities in the City of Warren with the highest rates of foreclosure. Participants will explore approaches to residential housing in an attempt to move beyond merely stabilizing our neighborhoods and toward rethinking our vision for them and creating the next generation of suburban development. This event is hosted by the City of Warren and Macomb County and generously sponsored by the Michigan State Housing Development (MSHDA).
The 3-day event has the potential to infuse new energy into a very difficult situation. Hopefully you will be able to join us sometime throughout the weekend, please see the schedule below for details. As space is limited, please rsvp to email@example.com stating which part of the weekend's events you will be participating in. Also note that Friday's bus tour has a limited capacity of 25 people so rsvp as soon as possible to reserve your seat.
Be sure to stop by Kuhnhenn Brewery Saturday night to meet our international guests more casually.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 20
Introductions, Presentations and Tour of the City of Warren, 9a.m. – 5p.m.
Location: Warren City Center, One City Square, Warren, Michigan 48093
9:00a.m. – 9:30a.m. Welcome and Introductions (Mayor Fouts, City of Warren)
10:00a.m – 12p.m. Contextual Presentations (25 min presentation and 15 min for questions)
- Warren Demographics and Overview / Development of Macomb County
- Residential Housing Market (Builder's Association)
- Regional Forecast (SEMCOG)
12p.m. – 1:00p.m. Lunch
1:30p.m. – 3:30p.m. Community Bus Tour, capacity 25 people (Guides: Gina Cavaliere and Rose Furlong, City of Warren)
- Includes stop at Warren Community Center and presentation by the Warren Historical Society
3:45p.m. – 5:00p.m. Contextual Presentations 25 min presentation and 15 min for questions)
- Suburban Development (Lawrence Tech)
- Use of history and language in development of metro Detroit (TBD)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21
Public Forum, 4p.m. – 8p.m.
Location: Winnick Homes, Heritage Village, 29112 Heritage Pkwy, Warren, Michigan 48092
- Presentations on scenarios for dealing with housing and the real estate crisis (Alexander D'Hooghe, Ole Bouman, Arjen Oosterman and Lucia Tozzi). The presentations will be followed by an open forum to discuss and exchange ideas about the scenarios focusing what is most suitable for locations in Warren.
- Light dinner provided
Welcome Party/ Networking, 9p.m. – 1a.m.
Location: Kuhnhenn Brewery, 5919 Chicago Rd, Warren, Michigan 48092
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 22
Workshop, 12a.m. – 4p.m.
Location: Conference Room B, Warren Community Center, 5460 Arden, Warren, Michigan 48092
- Workshop to develop proposals based on scenarios from Saturday's event, open to anyone interested in participating. The outcomes will be discussed at the end of the day.
- Light refreshments provided